Monday, March 30, 2009

Sell ME

My initial thoughts of a salesman (even now) is of a greasy haired, middle aged man...slightly over weight. A white dress shirt with a slight permanent sweat ring around the collar.

I imagine him knocking on my door on a sunny Saturday morning. He has a faded brown leather briefcase in his left hand. His smile when I open the door reminds me of the smile I give when I run into someone I really don't want to talk to. Basically as insincere as it gets.

With an outstretched hand he introduces himself as John from Johns Widgets Inc. Before I have the opportunity to tell him I have as many widgets as I can handle, he's started into his pre-scripted and well rehearsed speech of just exactly why I need his widget.

After 5 minutes of completely ignoring my obvious body language (screaming go-away) he asks if he can sit down and show me a brochure detailing the levels of widgetary he has available.He has that look on his face. You know the one... like a lost child, or a hungry dog begging for a treat.

You feel so bad telling him no. But you do anyway.I am a salesman... I am not John.

What makes me different from John and his widgets? For starters my widgets are invisible. I sell air. Radio advertising actually. News Talk, AM radio advertising to be precise.But that's not what makes me different from John...or any other salesman. What makes me different is that I have found the secret to sales. That's right. Its all right here for you in the next several paragraphs...and its free. (Another difference would also be that I wash my shirts and my hair.)

Here you go.

The secret to sales is simply believing in what you sell. Well, that's the first part of it anyway. You see, when you believe in what you sell, you don't need a pre-designed script. You don't have to start your conversation with "Hello, my name is ______________ and I have the solution to all your needs". That makes me want to throw up in my mouth. When you believe in what you sell, you can simply look someone in the eye, shake his or her hand and enthusiastically engage them in a CONVERSATION about how your product will enhance their life.

Notice I said conversation. Not talking at someone. That's what a scripted salesman sounds like. It sounds like someone is talking at me...not to me.

People buy from who they like. Correct? Who likes someone with a canned speech about the roto-wizard 3000? Well, that actually sounds interesting...but you get my drift. Especially in the economic state we live in today, people are wary of anyone or anything attempting to remove money from their hands and into someones pocket.

Now, more than ever, the relationship is vital. You don't have to close someone the first time you meet them. Slow and steady wins the race.Someone told me that I needed to slow down to speed up. I now know what that means.

So...If you are going on a sales call today, try this. Don't bring a pamphlet, don't bring a package. Just bring yourself. Sit down with your prospect and talk TO them. Get to know them. Find out what they need. Find out what they want. See if you have any tools that will help them get said wants and desires...and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment