Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Day - What would he say?





I was asked today what I thought Dr. Martin Luther King would have to say about the United Sates today:

I think he would see the steps we've taken as a Nation and be very impressed. In 1963 when he gave the famous "I Have a Dream" speech, many black people couldn't even use the same restroom as white people. Today we have... a black President. So, yea, I think he would be very pleased in the progress we've taken.

I believe that Dr. King spoke as much about personal responsibility as he did equality. To be honest, they go hand in hand. In that regard I think there would be many aspects of the black and white community today that he would not be happy with.

He never spoke about entitlement. He just wanted the playing field to be equal. He dreamed of a time that we could "sit down together at a table of brotherhood", "to lift our nation from the quicksand of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood", "to make justice a reality for all of God's children".

Much of what comes from a small vocal leadership today in the black community is exactly the opposite. It's a divisive message by design. Leaders like Jessee Jackson & Al Sharpton constantly promote separation by color. They, in my opinion, prey on the black community.

Would Dr. King be happy if a black person was awarded a job over a more qualified white person simply because of the color of his skin? I doubt it. I think he would be as appalled by it as he would if a white person got a job over a more qualified black person due to race.

I think the strides we have made are tremendous and I think we have a long way to go. It's about us working together as "people" and as American's... not as African Americans or Caucasian Americans or white people and black people. Just as people. "...to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of BROTHERHOOD".


 - Lionel Rainey III

No comments:

Post a Comment